Are you tired of spending morning after morning styling your hair only to see it ruined the minute you step out of the door? Well you're not alone! Frizzy hair affects all types of hair, be it curly, wavy, kinky or even straight. But don't fret, there are several ways to fight frizzy hair!
So what causes our hair to frizz?
Well unfortunately, it may just be the case that frizzy, coarse hair is in our genes. What we consider to be frizzy hair is often a result of dry, brittle hair. However, there are many other factors which cause or worsen frizzy hair. So let's tackle this problem head-on! I will list several factors which lead to frizzy hair and then go through some tips to help prevent or cure these problems.
1. Lack of protein and moisture in the hair can lead to frizziness.
2. Humidity in the air.
3. Excessive use of heat appliances on the hair (hair dryers, hair straighteners).
4. Hair that is damaged from colouring can cause frizz.
5. Certain products which contain high levels of alcohol, for instance hairsprays, mousses and gels.
6. Daily mistreatment of hair (i.e. over brushing, brushing roughly and fiddling with hair).
1. Use a good deep cleansing shampoo designed to strip away dirt and open the hair cuticle leaving it ready to fight frizz. Try Keratin Complex Clarifying Shampoo specifically aimed at frizzy hair for sleek and beautifully smooth hair.
2. Use a conditioner aimed at dry and damaged/frizzy hair. Try Keratin Complex Care Conditioner. This conditioner will detangle your hair and leave it with a natural shine.
3. Try to avoid washing your hair every day! Your hair contains natural oils which are essential for keeping your hair healthy and shampooing too often means your hair will lose this. Shampooing every day will also result in your hair's natural defence mechanism over compensating for its loss of natural moisture, therefore making your hair more greasy throughout the day. Natural oils will reduce frizz!
4. Be gentle when brushing your hair; tease knots out rather than tugging them as this will break hair making it appear frizzy. Also try to pat your hair dry with a towel after washing rather than rubbing it with the towel as this can damage your hair.
5. If you have coloured hair, make sure you use shampoo and conditioner which will treat dry damaged/coloured hair. Try Keratin Complex Colour Care Shampoo and Keratin Complex Colour Care Conditioner.
6. Use products which will help to tame your frizzy hair. Try Milkshake No Frizz Glistening Milk for soft hair which is easy to manage without frizz. Use Keratin Complex Infusion Therapy to thoroughly nourish your hair and to protect it against heat appliances.
Picture by Tessss on Flickr - Used kindly under a creative commons licence!